Here is a motivational speech I wrote and presented at a Toastmasters meeting on 7 ways to boost self-confidence.
I started with a couple famous quotes:
- “Hitch your wagon to a star.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “If we did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.” ~Thomas Edison
- “All our dreams can come true – if we have the courage to pursue them.” ~Walt Disney
The most inspiring speech I’ have ever given was my very first speech; my ice breaker speech.
Reliving some of my fond childhood memories and recounting some of my personal achievements not only made me feel good about myself, but it bolstered my confidence and lit a fire under me. So much so, I went on to complete most of my speeches in that same year; and I took on the role of club President!
Self Confidence is Contagious
It occurs to me that there is a common thread among successful speakers. They appear to feel very good about themselves and they exuberate so much self-confidence, it seems to rub off on you.
Could it be that being self-confident is contagious? I believe it is!
Make no mistake, it does take hard work and dedication but I for one am not ready to go swimming in ice!
Fellow toastmasters and guests, lets explore some some ideas on how we can keep ourselves motivated even in the face of what seems like unachievable challenges.
I say: FORTITUDE!
Webster’s dictionary says that Fortitude is endurance or courage in the face of pain or adversity. Let’s think about that for a minute. Endurance and courage in the face of adversity.
I believe that Fortitude is “built-in” to all of us. And that when faced with a seemingly insurmountable pain or adversity it automatically “kicks in” to pull us through which is a sure way to boost self-confidence. Some even believe that this “inner power” is gift from their God.
Imagine that! Just knowing that such power is lying there within each and every one of us? That alone should be such a confidence builder. But we don’t use or see our fortitude every day, after all it does seem to be reserved for the really big challenges.
What about the smaller challenges we are faced with every day? I suggest we take our fortitude and use it as a foundation from which to build. And since the holiday season is a time of giving, why not start with giving back to YOU first?
What self-confident people realize
Confident people understand the impact of believing in themselves and relying on their abilities.
This mind set actually creates opportunities for success. With each new success another boost to their confidence. Success builds on success.
When we perceive ourselves as being able to achieve anything we set our mind to, this perception shapes our reality. Yes, perception shapes reality, and with the right mindset we can all become the confident, self-assured person we want to be.
7 Ways to Boost Self Confidence.
- Acknowledge and list existing areas of confidence. Any area in our lives where we are producing good results is an area where we already have confidence. Take some time to examine and list those areas along with the beliefs and feelings that support them.
- Start where you know you can succeed. One effective way to build self-confidence is to choose an area in our lives where we know we can take control. No matter who we are, there is always some area in our life where we feel a level of competence. Start by setting one reachable goal in that direction and then take action.
- Repeat the process. Once success is experienced, set another reachable goal in that same direction and follow through with more action. If we continue the pattern of setting and achieving small goals we will 1become comfortable with our ability to produce an intended outcome.
- Expand your efforts. Next, we should choose another area in our life that we have a degree of competence and repeat the process. Again, as our feelings of confidence grow, we will perceive ourselves as successful people.
- Enlist some external feedback. I love this one because it describes a Toastmasters’ meeting. Ask a friend to provide some positive feedback every time we succeed in producing an intended result. Now, we will have a source of external validation in addition to that of our own perception. In fact, joining a Toastmasters Club would be a good idea!
- Walk the walk and talk the talk. Adopt the external characteristics of someone with a great deal of confidence. If you walk, talk, dress and conduct yourself like a person who is very confident, you will send signals to your own nervous system that say, “I can do anything I set my mind to.” You will also send those same messages to everyone you come in contact with.
- Make confidence part of your identity. Embracing a positive view of yourself that empowers you to confidently take action in the direction of your goals is a huge step in your personal development. If you experience any disappointing results, resist the urge to link them to your personal identity. They are just part of the process. Make adjustments and move on.
Continue building on your new pattern
Once you have established a pattern of success you will fully develop the emotional viewpoint of a successful person. This mindset will give you the confidence to continue the successful pattern. Because your actions have produced positive results in the past, you will have every reason to believe that they will produce successful results in the future. This is the kind of mindset that will fill you with optimism and give the courage to take on new challenges with confidence.
Proven Method to Boost Self Confidence
You can influence your subconscious mind with subluminal messaging to bring about change in your life such as Boosting Self-Confidence, Stop Procrastinating and Learn To Say No.
Get 30% Off The Following Real Subliminal Programs; “Improve Visualization Ability”, “Forex Trading Success”, “Organization Skills” and “Learn To Say No”. [Coupon code: NEWSUCCESS2010]
Subliminal messaging is a form of communication designed to create a certain response or action. It can be used in areas where a change of behavior is desirable, like advertising or self-development.Source: https://innerjam.com/do-subliminal-messages-work
Anyone can boost their self-confidence! It’s a simple matter of adopting a more empowering mindset and building a more positive perception of your abilities. Remember, confidence is self-perpetuating; you just need to get the ball rolling and create some momentum.
by Doug Bayliss