I love my salt lamps and comparing the different styles of lamps along with a fair amount of research helped me choose good ones. Are you looking for Himalayan Salt Lamps? I can tell you they do have their benefits so see below for information and some advice on deciding on a good one for yourself.
Himalayan Salt Lamps
“Pink” salt lamps provide great atmosphere as a centerpiece or because they can be dimmed, they make for a good night. Here is a video of me showing off my two Himalaya Salt Lamps.
What is Himalayan Salt?
Usual table salts are primarily made of sodium chloride, however Himalayan salt is made up of 98% sodium chloride and some traces of minerals including zinc, magnesium, and potassium. These minerals provide the salt with a hue which can range from from light pink to dark orange (like mine), or even dark red.
How Do Himalayan Salt Lamps Work?
Salt is Hygroscopic
Salt, being hydroscopic, attracts water molecules and some studies show that salt “lamps” also attract water molecules out of the air. Since water coming from the air can contain allergens, bacteria, pollutants, and other harmful substances, it is suggested that when salt from the lamp is heated, it dries out the water it attracted, leaving behind the particles that dry on the surface.
Benefits of Negative Ions
Negative ions from salt lamps neutralize the positive ions which result in cleaner air that many people find relaxing. I for one love the air in my home office, especially when left undisturbed over night, it’s literally like the fresh air after a thunderstorm. Salt lamps are not the only solution to lessen positive ions as you can actually buy “ionizers” for this purpose. But hey, the salt lamps are way more attractive!
How Long Do Salt Lamps Last?
Salt lamps themselves last for a LONG time since the salt itself doesn’t just evaporate or disappear into the air. Long before you notice any smaller “rocks,” the bulb will burn out. Sources on the Internet claim if keep a pink salt lamp on all the time the bulb will last 1,000 hours which is around 6 weeks but Ha-Ha, both of my lamps are on 24/7 and are going strong now for 5 months (18 weeks).
Himalayan Salt Lamps Side Effects
I don’t know of any side effects but here are some things to be aware of:
- Salt lamps are breakable.
- Salt can be corrosive.
- A salt lamp must not be placed within a high humidity area such as a bathroom.
- Some salt lamps are heavy. Be sure it comes from a reputable supplier offering a strong base or holder.
- Keep away from pets! The curious lick of a salt lamp is unlikely to cause any harm, but if your cat or dog gets hooked on the salt – much like we get hooked on potato chips – that’s when problems can arise.
Salt Lamp Benefits
Exposure to a salt lamp is said to help lower high blood pressure and may relieve sinus pain and pressure. Salt lamps are also known to reduce the frequency and severity of headaches. Those who spend a lot of time around computers may benefit from salt lamps because electronic devices emit positive ions that the salt lamp’s negative ions mate up with and cancel out. Televisions and even vacuum cleaners emit positive ions.
Reasons to Buy a Himalayan Salt Lamp
People out of natural curiosity will try something new, especially with the promise of delivering positive effects. As for Himalayan Salt Lamps, here are my reasons to consider why you should buy one:
- They might really help you. Even though some people claim it is just a placebo effect, one thing for sure is it’s helping.
- The salt really does make the air smell better.
- This little investment lessens the adverse effect of electromagnetic radiation coming off my computer screen.
- Himalayan Salt Lamps are eye-pleasing decorative lamps and are a symbol of natural living. They cast a beautiful pink and orange hue that improves anyone’s mood. Even if you experience no health benefit, you will still have a stylish conversation piece for your living area.
- They are perfect for a night light because the orange and pinkish hue helps you sleep better because of the soothing, sunset-like light.
How to Use Himalayan Salt Lamps?
After you purchase your Himalayan Salt Lamp, the next question might be how to use it? Here is what’s working for me that you can try with your salt lamp:
1. Keep it on
In order to get the maximum benefits of a Himalayan Salt Lamp, you need to keep it on. Keeping your salt lamp on is the best way to maximize the benefits it promises.
2. Pick the right bulb
Don’t be tempted to use a more energy efficient light such as LED lights and USB-powered lights. These types of bulbs do not produce heat which is needed to evaporate the moisture collected by the salt. Additionally, leaving your lamp off for a long period of time may result in the salt becoming sweaty which can cause messy drips.
3. Size Matters
Salt lamps may vary in of size so a small one may be a good night light while a larger one will give the maximum benefits it has. Make sure that your salt lamp will cover enough area so it can do its job.
Where to Buy Your Salt Lamps
Now that’s the million dollar question! If you did a Google search you found 100’s of places. I can only recommend the place where I bought mine. They are genuine Himalayan Salt Lamps of superior quality and the price didn’t break the bank. atPerry’s Crystals & Gemstones (Ad) has a large collection of lamps to choose from and their customer support is the best!
Sample Product Showcase
Shop atPerrys.com for your Himalayan Salt Lamps (Ad)
Thank you for visiting